Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bunk Beds








So today we  went to the orphanage.  We met the children and those that care for them.
There are 10 girls and 10 boys.  They giggled and laughed as they received clothes, underwear and candy.

They knew a tiny bit of English, which was very helpful.  The language barrier is the most hindering.  Some hand motions and long ago remembrance of my French are proving to be useful.

Driving through the towns are the most amazing sight. The traffic and endless vendors remind me of NYC.

We are in the process of building 5 bunk beds at the orphanage.
I've done a lot of sanding by hand, no planer.

The orphanage is adding another story to it's base structure.  It provides jobs for several men who are currently sanding every bit of cement which covers the outside walls as well as the inside.
Everything is made with cement and cinder blocks and re-bar.  Everything, stores, houses, shacks, even the police station, all cement.

We lost our internet connection so I couldn't blog, after a long days work, I took a power nap, changed and attended a 2 1/2 hour bible study service.  Wow, that was exhausting in itself.  Everytime they prayed, I was grateful to put my head down and close my eyes for a quick snooze.  I only understood 3 words in the whole service.  Marc (Mark), garcon (man) and perseverance.  I hope I don't have to do that again. :)

We returned home about 8 pm, vendors were still selling items with the light of candles or lanterns.

Electricity is unreliable, so the house we are staying in runs off a huge generator, that charges batteries.  It costs about $5 US dollars per gallon of gas, so this generator is quite expensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment